13 October 2011

National Book Award 2011 Nominees

Hey, at least I did better than last year!

You have until November 16 to read the following:

Fiction
Andrew Krivak, THE SOJOURN
Téa Obreht, THE TIGER'S WIFE (read it, liked it)
Julie Otsuka, THE BUDDHA IN THE ATTIC
Edith Pearlman, BINOCULAR VISION (short stories)
Jesmyn Ward, SALVAGE THE BONES (read it, liked it but thought it had protagonist issues)

Nonfiction
Deborah Baker, THE CONVERT: A TALE OF EXILE AND EXTREMISM
Mary Gabriel, LOVE AND CAPITAL: KARL AND JENNY MARX AND THE BIRTH OF A REVOLUTION
Stephen Greenblatt, THE SWERVE: HOW THE WORLD BECAME MODERN
Manning Marable, MALCOLM X: A LIFE OF REINVENTION
Lauren Redniss, RADIOACTIVE: MARIE & PIERRE CURIE, A TALE OF LOVE AND FALLOUT

In this fall: Biographies of couples. Out this fall: Hyped doorstopper books by white dudes? (Fiction by dudes in general, 4/5 nominees agree?)

Now I'm not saying anyone should do such a foolish thing as read all 10 of these (plus 10 poetry and YA books, available here), and definitely not that I am tempted to pull such a stunt. But if you did an e-book reader would be a great way to pick all these up (hardcovers, all) at some savings. You may also save yourself some pain from lugging all of those around. (That's my left shoulder and neck, FYI.)

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I've been waiting since January for the library to get a copy of RADIOACTIVE (not yet). Maybe they will now that it's been nominated.

In the meantime, I just submitted a request to get a copy from Anne Arundel County.

(Is this why people live in the suburbs?)

Ellen said...

For the good libraries? You'll have to tell me. My old library in PA was fairly good considering its size. How much leeway do you have for interlibrary loans?

Elizabeth said...

We have a system called Marina that allows me to borrow from other public libraries in the state, but only if my home library (Baltimore City) doesn't have the book, and only if the library from whom I'm requesting the book feels like giving it to me that day.

(They also go to all the trouble of taking my email address so that they can inform me when my book comes in, but I have yet to receive an email from them. My library kindly calls me instead when they receive it.)

If there's a limit to how many books I can request, I haven't encountered it yet.